Stimulation Starts

August 1, 2020 – Stim Day 1

Today was the first day of my stim meds. I’m on 3 vials of Menopur and 300 units of Gonal-F. This is pretty much the highest and most aggressive protocol. My age and the fact that I only have one ovary means that I need a really aggressive approach for the best possible outcome.

Today started out well. Another day in the hotel. I wish we were in an apartment at least. I booked an apartment for our May cycle, but they refused to refund us even though nobody could travel due to the pandemic. Garbage company. In any case, the Navy Lodge is within walking distance of where I need to go so it isn’t the worst. I fully believe that we are wear we’re supposed to be. It really is very convenient here.

I started walking yesterday. Actually, Husband asked me to for a walk with him and I agreed. I knew I wanted to do that when we got here but kept putting it off. I literally have all the time in the world. I need to do this for my body and for the baby I hope to soon carry. There’s a little walking track on the base that we’re able to walk to. It’s pretty easy to social distance but there are runners so we have to mask up when they come by. I am really enjoying it. It’s improving my mood and we get to spend quality time together. 

I’m supposed to do my stims in the evening so after our walk I showered and then did my injections. The first one, Gonal-F didn’t really hurt at all. I almost didn’t actually inject myself though because I underestimated how hard I had to push the pen. Part of my abdomen is numb from my previous surgery so sometimes the injections feel like nothing at all. After this injection I did the Menopur. This one requires mixing, so it takes a bit to get set up. Hopefully, I’ll be quicker next time. This one pinched when I stuck the needle in and burned a little when I injected. I read that injecting slowly will help the burning. I still had another injection left but that one didn’t come until later. I realized then that I have a lot of injections. It’s just a lot. These injections are always on my mind. If I’ve completed a round, I know that another one is coming soon. But I don’t even care because this is how I’m going to have a baby. I just need my body to cooperate. I have no doubt that everything will work out.

My mom has been extremely encouraging throughout the process. I wish she were here. She says that no matter what happens, we’re doing it. It’s all in God’s hands. I know that the science can only go so far. The rest is up to a higher power. I think that is why I’m not worried. I have trust in something more.

August 2, 2020 – Stim Day 2

Today was a pretty easy-going day. We’ve been sleeping in which has been nice. No pressure. The housekeepers come every day at 0900 and we scramble out of bed every time like we didn’t know they were coming. I’ve been keeping it pretty tidy, but I think I’m ready for someone else to clean this room. 

I took my morning Lupron around 0850. I get so nervous each time. I know it doesn’t really hurt. It’s just the anticipation. I’m working on training my mind to think nothing of it. After the injection, I got back in bed. I don’t remember a lot from the morning though. I had some fruit for breakfast and then Husband drove us around DC. We saw the Capitol and the White House and the Black Lives Matter mural in the street. There are a lot of posters around there. We didn’t get out though. I’m scared of contracting COVID and not being able to do the retrieval. We probably should have gotten out and taken some photos though. Maybe next weekend. 

After that, we came back and just chilled in the room. I think Husband is so bored. I worry about him. He needs something to do. He went for a run this evening and then went for a walk with me. I’m starting to love our walks. 

Today’s evening injections went much smoother. It still took about 15 minutes to do them both. I need a better organization system though because the brown paper bags aren’t working well. I just hope the medicine is getting where it’s supposed to. I also did the evening injections before our walk. I’ve been a little crampy, but I also started a period. It’s hard to tell what’s associated with what. I can’t take Midol but that’s okay.

I’m happy with how things are going. I’m anxious to see how my upcoming tests go.

*The crampiness and “period” are expected once the stims start. If you’re going through this process, don’t be alarmed.

Love always, Monica

You may also like

I'd love to hear from you!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.